Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Michelle M Guppy


Monday, January 27, 2014

Of locusts and a call for loyalty...

Day 65

Part One:  Joel 1 - 3


An army of locusts and the prophecy of destruction.

Where Hosea was a book about the unfaithfulness of God's people, Joel is a book where God is calling for loyalty and committed relationship with Him.  In a companion book to help me better understand the books of the Bible, I like this commentary that says, "Prophecy is more important for what it reveals about God than for what it reveals about the future.  Fulfillment is sure, but the message is primary."  Yes, the prophecy is a bit intimidating, but I'm more worried about getting my house in order before that judgement!

The message of Joel is to repent.  That the day of judgement is to be feared, and that fear should motivate us to change our ways, repent, and respond to him wholeheartedly.

Joel 1:15 says, "For the day of the Lord is near; it will come like destruction from the Almighty."

God holds the Nations responsible for how they treat his people.  I think we as a Nation would do well to take that seriously.  We will be held responsible for how we treat God's children.  Each other.  There will be such reckoning for those who have harmed our innocent vaccine-damaged children for nothing more than profit.  I just long for the day of that repentance.  For them to acknowledge the harm done, and stop doing it.

But, I digress......

In those times I need to remember the words of the Lord in Joel 2:13 and "Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love...."


For all that has been taken from my son by autism I must remember the words of Joel 2:25 that promise, "I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten........"

Through it all I must "Praise the name of the Lord your God, who has worked wonders for you...."

God truly has worked wonders.  Today, a Monday of all days, it's been hard to see that.  I've let satan steal my thoughts and all I can think of are the unanswered prayers of the last three years.  All I can think of are the seizures my son is having today.  All I can think of is how many times I've had my hopes up, only to have them shot down in disappointment.

I need to remember more than any prophecy of the future, the right here and right now God I love tells me in Joel 2:27, 28, 32 that "I am the Lord your God."

I will pour out my Spirit on all people.


"Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."


Joel 3:16
"But the Lord will be a refuge for his people, a stronghold for the people of Israel."

I need that refuge today.

I need the Lord's stranglehold on satan.

(And his stronghold on me...)