Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Michelle M Guppy


Thursday, March 22, 2012

A fiery duel: God vs Baal.

Day 26

1 Kings

It seems that one king blends into another as a pattern of failure continues.  God sends prophets to go against the godless nation to warn them of the consequences of disobedience to God.  Elijah & Elisha the only lights through that darkness.

Through Elijah we glimpse yet again the power and provision of God to those who worship only him and who are obedient to only him.

In 1 Kings 17 we see how God provides for Elijah through a widow.  "Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?"  As she was going to get it, he called, "And bring me, please, a piece of bread."

"As surely as the Lord your God lives," she replied, "I don't have any bread -- only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug."
 
Elijah said to her, "Don't be afraid."  For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says:  "The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the Lord gives rain on the land."

God provides to the faithful.

In 1 Kings 18:22 Elijah says to the people, "I am the only one of the Lord's prophets left, but Baal has 450 prophets.  Get two bulls for us.  Let them choose one for themselves, and let them cut it into pieces and put it on the wood but not set fire to it.  I will prepare the other bull and put it on the wood but not set fire to it.  Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord.  The god who answers by fire -- he is God."

Ahhh, I love a good fiery duel.  Especially when I know God is on my side.

We find that the prophets of Baal called on their gods all day, and nada. Nothing. No go. Zip. Zero.

The prophet of God, Elijah, had the people drench his offering three times before calling on the Lord.

Elijah stepped forward and prayed:  "O Lord, God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, let it be known today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant and have done all these things at your command.  Answer me, O Lord, answer me, so these people will know that you, O Lord, are God, and that you are turning their hearts back again."


Then the fire of the Lord fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and the soil, and also licked up the water in the trench  When all the people saw this, they fell prostrate and cried, "The Lord -- he is God!  The Lord -- he is God!"

He is indeed.

And I'll leave this day....at that.