Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Michelle M Guppy


Thursday, March 8, 2012

Which do you choose? Life or Death

Day 15

Deuteronomy

Deuteronomy 26:7 - "...we cried out to the LORD, the God of our fathers, and the LORD heard our voice and saw our misery, toil and oppression.  So the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, with great terror and with miraculous signs and wonders.  He brought us to this place and gave us this land, a land flowing with milk and honey; and now I bring the firstfruits of the soil that you, O LORD, have given me."

Really, can we do no less than that?  Of all we are given, of the many ways God provides for us, can we not give back but a tiny portion to the Lord?

I'm convicted of that each and every time I read that verse above.

The renewal of the covenant comes after yet again, we read about the blessings of obedience to God's rules and laws, and the harsh punishments for disobedience of them.

In Deuteronomy 29, Moses is reminding the people of all that the Lord has done for them in feeding them, providing for them, clothing them, and defeating their enemies for them.  He is saying, "Carefully follow the terms of this covenant, so that you may prosper in everything you do.  All of you are standing today in the presence of the LORD your God -- you are standing here in order to enter into a covenant with the LORD your God, a covenant the LORD is making with you this day and sealing with an oath..."

I like in Deuteronomy 30:11 how it says, "Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach.  It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, "Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?  Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, "Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?  No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it."

I like that.

Nothing like taking any excuses away before we have a chance to make them, huh?

It goes on... "See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction.  For I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the LORD your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.  But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them, I declare to you this day that you will certainly be destroyed.  You will not live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess.  This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.  Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him."

I also love the reminder of Deuteronomy 31:8 which says, "The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

I love how that says to me that no matter where I've been, no matter how long that dark tunnel I've had to walk through at times, no matter what -- God has always been there ahead of me.  Even though at times I've felt alone, I haven't been.  God goes before us. Making a way where there is none.  Showing us the way when we've lost it.

That verse bears repeating and memorizing:

Deuteronomy 31:8
"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."


Deuteronomy ends with the death of Moses...
Deuteronomy 34:4 says, The the Lord said to him, (Moses), "This is the land I promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob when I said, 'I will give it to your descendants.' I have let you see it with your eyes, but you will not cross over into it."

Humbling to me...in putting a different perspective on obedience and loyalty to the Lord. I don't want to have come so far in my life and not see the promised land God has waiting for me, just because of disobedience in not following him with all my heart, soul, and mind as he commands.

I want to pursue the muchness of my Messiah.

I want to experience the promised land.

Not just see it.