Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Michelle M Guppy


Monday, March 5, 2012

Mizpah

Day 3

Genesis

I'm sure is blasphemous to say that a days Bible reading was boring -- but hence all the who is related to who has cured insomnia for a night or two!

(smile)

But one thing I did get from today was the word "Mizpah" which means "watch tower".  Genesis 31:49 says, "May the Lord keep watch between you and me when we are away from each other."

I like that.

I will now pray that over my son who is at Boot Camp.  In fact, before I knew there was a "Mizpah Pendant", I bought him an "Anchor of Hope" pendant of a cross/anchor to wear on his dog tags, while I have the matching ring to wear.  As a symbol of connection while he is away from mom.  My husband and I have similar "Mizpah's" in wedding bands.

In that passage of scripture where "Mizpah" is mentioned, it also shares how mizpah serves as a witness.  God being that witness, so that even if no one is around, God is still that witness and sees the sin being spoken of in that passage.  What a great reminder that even though we think we are alone and no one sees our "sin" -- that God still does.  God is that witness.  And man, I sure don't want to go against him in court.  As many will....

I guess to me it is really speaking of the honor we must possess in our different roles in life.  For my Navy son - in upholding the honor that binds them all as brothers.  For my husband and I in the honor of marriage.  That even though no one may ever see you doing something wrong -- God is that watchtower, that witness.  He watches over us not to condemn us, but to protect us.

I like that accountability.

We all need it.