Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Michelle M Guppy


Thursday, January 31, 2013

AGONY

To those who have had no agony Jesus says, "I have nothing for you; stand on your own feet, square your own shoulders.  I have come for the man who knows he has a bigger handful than he can cope with, who knows there are forces he cannot touch; I will do everything for him if he will let Me.  Only let a man grant he needs it, and I will do it for him."
-- The Quotable Oswald Chambers


It's not popular to talk about "agony" in Christian circles.  It's almost like talking about "hell" - and who in this "Don't Worry Be Happy" world wants to hear about either of those words?  When someone comes up to you at church and asks how you're doing, they're really not expecting, or wanting, you to reply with, "Well, as a matter of fact, I'm in great agony...."

They want to hear the "Good..... Everything's Good!  Praise God!  I'm Rejoicing and Glad!"

But sometimes it's not all good.  You hope that joy will indeed come in the morning because it sure ain't came today! 

My son's autism journey has been an agonizing one.  Full of anguish.  Agony.

Sometimes I think no one in the world can relate to that. 

But Jesus can.

In the middle of the pitch black night when all I can do is hold my convulsing son as he fights to survive another seizure, there's one person there with me who understands such agony.

Jesus.

As I sit here and type this, all I can hear is my son stomping and humming in his room.  Like a jackhammer hammering my brain.   Who could possibly ever fully comprehend the repeated agony of that?

Jesus.

Sure, many can relate.  Many experience what I do.  But none understand our agony as only Jesus can.

None can comfort as only He can.

Oswald Chambers says it best.....

".........  anyone can have a fellow-feeling for a poor unfortunate being and can sympathise with him, but who among us can understand agony which goes deeper down than can be put into words?  Who but Jesus Christ?"

He understands because he's been there.

And is here now.