Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Michelle M Guppy


Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Jehovah Magen

The LORD our Shield.

Psalm 28:7
The LORD is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.
Deuteronomy 33:29
Blessed are you, Israel!  Who is like you, a people saved by the LORD?  He is your shield and helper and your glorious sword.  Your enemies will cower before you, and you will tread on their heights.


A "magen" is a shield for protection.  When browsing the names of God and what they mean, I had to chuckle when I saw "Magen" and how it meant "shield".  Being an unashamed Twilight fan, all I could think of was the book where Bella projected her mental shield to protect her family from Aro's attacks.  No matter what was thrown at them to harm them, Bella's shield protected all who were behind it.

I'm sure God is cringing at my Twilight reference, but that is so how we are protected by Him.  All who are his children can stand behind him and be protected by his shield that surrounds us, saves us.  I have to just smile at that.   I am so thankful for that!

Prayer is like that too.  It is our shield against all in this world that threatens to steal our joy.  It can help shield us against negative thoughts and hurtful people.  It can shield us against doubt, disillusionment, and disappointment.  But most of all and best of all - prayer is the most powerful weapon, the most impenetrable shield, against public enemy number one, --- satan.

If only we would use it first...

...and not run to it last.