Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Michelle M Guppy


Monday, October 7, 2013

Experiencing the Names of God...

In this past weeks lesson in the Experiencing God Bible study I'm going through, it talked about the "Names of God."  How we have Experienced him through who he is to us at different times in our life.

I was really touched by one verse...  In Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I Am Who I Am."  

The author of the study explained further:
When God said, "I Am Who I am," He was saying, "I Am the eternal One.  I will be what I will be."  He was saying, "I am everything you will need."
I like that name of God.  "I am everything you will need."  Not everything I want, but everything I need.  And some days, like this morning, that is such a hard thing to understand.  I wanted to do all I had planned to do today.  But Brandon had a seizure this morning.  Yet another one.  "I am everything you will need...."   It's so easy to fit that name of God with things that do go my way.  But ahhhh, seeing how it can when everything isn't going my way --  that's Experiencing God.  Even not knowing how it does, as I often don't, yet still knowing somehow it does, is still Experiencing God.  The Sovereignty of God.

Through these times I look to my most favorite name of God that I have experienced.  Sustainer.  I don't know so very many things about Brandon's future.  I don't know how in the world Brandon has survived so many seizures that have tried to kill him, and a few times where they almost did.  I don't know what more to do or how much longer they will last.  All I know is that God has, is, and will sustain us all.

Each unit asks you to reflect on the thing that has most touched you for that week.  I think for me it has been the name of God that I will call, "He Who Knows the Future." 

The author of the study shared this:
"God's will is always best.  You never have to question whether His will is best or right.  It always is.  This is true because He loves you and knows the future."

So many times in the past few years we have been so disappointed in things that haven't turned out the way we had hoped.  After reading that, it was so comforting.  His will is always best.  His will is always right.  Why?  Because he knows the future.

I still have so many questions regarding the disappointments we have experienced.  The why? Why? Why? Why?  But even in that, I can have peace because God's will is always best.  God's will is always right.  Why? Because he loves me.  Because he knows the future.  Because he sees pitfalls that I can't see.  Because he has seen things needed in us that perhaps aren't quite there yet.  Because somehow what he has planned instead, is better.  In Isaiah 46:11 it says, "What I have said, that will I bring about; what I have planned, that will I do."  That is what gets me through.  That nothing, not seizures, not any disappointment, will have the power to thwart God's plans for me, my sons, my family.  In all those questions I have, that statement is such a comfort.  That name of God something to hold onto...

"He who completes"


In the meantime, I think God likes it when we ask those questions of why.  I know he loves it when we turn to him, His word, to seek those answers of why...  And most of all, as I have come to find out in this past weeks study, even when I do all that and still don't understand, it's ok.  I simply need to just rely on this name of God ---

The Answer.



For all of my needs....He has been, is, and will always be -- the answer.

For now, John 13:7 will have to be that answer...

Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”

~ ~ ~

(Oh, how I can't wait to understand...to finally know him as, the explanation!)


(smile)