Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Michelle M Guppy


Thursday, October 13, 2016

How he pursues us...

Today I found myself thinking of how God pursues us.

There has been such conflict in certain relationships in my life, and as I was reflecting on that today the word "pursues" kept popping in my head.  I just couldn't get that word out of my mind.  I'm not sure why, perhaps as I meditate on it more I will have more to add, -- but for now I think it is to give me an idea of God's pursuit of us.

Of me.

I have found myself frustrated beyond belief in the pursuit of trying to restore a relationship only to be met with a brick wall.  Total lack of anything in reciprocation.  And I guess in those repeated attempts, -- in the hurt and frustration and disappointment in that the only response there has been, has been more mud-slinging -- I finally understood God's pursuit of me.  I finally understood how he felt when he has pursued me only to be met with a brick wall, rejection, denial, disappointment.  I know how hurt I've been by those brick walls in my life - and now I think I finally understand a fraction of the hurt God has had with me at times when I've ignored his pursuit of me.

I have tried and tried and tried.  I have proverbially knocked on the door so many times my knuckles have bled.  I have pursued...  Yet nothing.  No answer.  I am about to the point where I just want to give up.  Stop trying.  I've considered that all day and have again marveled at the realization of just how persistent God is in his pursuit of us in how no matter how thick the brick wall, no matter how long the rejection, he will never, ever give up!

Never!

He will continue his pursuit of us!

Of me!


How comforting that was to realize for perhaps the first time in my life, the sheer depth, breadth, and width of his love and pursuit of me.  In the face of such rejection, to know that there is indeed someone who will never reject a relationship with me.  Someone who will embrace that "Never Quit" mentality. Someone who values his relationship with me so much that he will let nothing stand in the way of his pursuit of it.

I've wallowed in my own hurt at how others have ignored any attempt at restoration, and all that time I could have been relishing in all the ways God pursues me!

God will never ignore me, he will always pursue me.

God will never reject me, he will always pursue me and love me.

God will never give up on me, he will always pursue me and be there for me.

God will never falsely accuse me, he will always pursue me and show me the truth.

I wish everyone could understand that kind of pursuit.

Maybe then we wouldn't take it for granted when those around us here on earth care enough to pursue us yet we reject them.  We ignore their attempts, no matter how imperfect they might be.  I wish people understood that anything worth having is worth pursuing.  We must pursue relationships, we must pursue our faith, we must pursue being a follower of Christ.

We cannot just sit back and do nothing and expect things to change.

We must pursue change.

Because much like with God if we wait too long to accept his pursuit of us, there does come a time when it's too late.

Opportunity lost.

For eternity.