Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Michelle M Guppy


Thursday, February 21, 2013

Here am I. Send me!

Day 50

Isaiah 1-28

As someone who for the last couple of years has been in a period of not so much doubting God's promises but more needing to fully realize them as it pertains to the healing or better control of Brandon's seizures --- I'm encouraged by the theme of Isaiah.

In that God keeps his word.  He keeps his word when it comes to discipline and punishment for his people who choose not to obey him, and he keeps his word when it comes to the promises of prosperity and blessing.

In either case - we would do well to heed His warnings and cling to His promises.

As with many previous day's readings on this journey -- Israel too was scattered and punished because of their persistent sin.

Isaiah 1:4 says, "Ah, sinful nation, a people loaded with guilt, a brood of evildoers, children given to corruption!  They have forsaken the Lord; they have spurned the Holy One of Israel and turned their backs on him....... Why do you persist in rebellion?"

We see in Isaiah that the Kings who trust in God are delivered by God, but those who trust in man or their own strengths and alliances, fall short and are destroyed.

I see that time and time again in my own "Life with Autism" in that each time I put my trust in the medical profession, I am disappointed. 

It reminds to keep my trust and my faith and my strength - in God

In these readings, it's also just as clear that he does not like the mere "act" or "motions" of religion.

Isaiah 1:13 says, "Stop bringing meaningless offerings!"  "I cannot bear your evil assemblies.  Your New Moon festivals and your appointed feasts my soul hates.  They have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them.  When you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide my eyes from you; even if you offer many prayers, I will not listen.  Your hands are full of blood; wash and make yourselves clean.  Take your evil deeds out of my sight!  Stop doing wrong, learn to do right!  Seek justice, encourage the oppressed.  Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. 

Isaiah 18 goes on.... "Come now, let us reason together," says the Lord.  Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.  If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land; but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword."  From the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

And as many previous day's readings on this journey -- God does love countries who repent and He is the author of fresh starts.

I'm encouraged by that.  I find myself often in need of repentance and a fresh start.  Like, sometimes daily!

God loves that.  He loves humbled hearts, humility, and honesty.

That's why I love Isaiah 1:18 above. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." 

I believe there are many churches today who need to read that again and start taking the "Scarlet Letter" off of people.  So many who have sinned in the past but who have presently repented and have sinned in that way no more - are excluded from positions of service because of that past sin, not their present testimony of God's deliverance from it.  It saddens me.  There is no greater witness than learning from someone who overcame.  Changed.  Repented.

The greatest testimonies and witnesses to God's love are those from those who God has forgiven -- so shouldn't we? 

There's a lot of "falling by the sword" in these first pages of Isaiah, but then we come to a bright spot in Isaiah 6.... in Isaiah's Commission.

So often I joke with God, laugh with Him, get angry at Him, and call Him my friend.  But Isaiah 6 reminds me of how above all and more than each of those things God is to us, he is Holy.  He is to have our highest form of reverence.  He.Is.Holy.

Isaiah 6:3 is where the seraphs were calling to one another:  "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."

I cannot wait to be in heaven one day and hear that in the purest of voices.  That chant played over and over and over.

Ahhh, the goose bumps!

At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke....

Isaiah realized at that moment just how Holy God is, was, and always will be.  He realized his place in the world compared to such a Holy God.  He realized his sin, his unworthiness, his own unholiness.

I do well to remind myself of that as often as I can.

In Isaiah 6:8 the Lord then asks, "Whom shall I send?  And who will go for us?" 

Isaiah said, "Here am I.  Send me!"

Oh how thankful I am for those warrior mom's and dad's and advocates of autism who though drowning in their own need, raise their hand high in answer to the call to help others in need.

Those like Dr. Wakefield who raise their hand and go, and say, and do, -- despite having everything taken from them in the process.

I'm thankful for those Christians who bravely step out of their comfort zones in serving a population that is not easy to serve yet who are in such desperate need of the hands and feet of Jesus to simply love on them.  Not fix them, cure them, teach them, or provide for them, --- just to love them.  Provide a place for them to have fun and fellowship.

Like many of us weary veterans of autism -- Isaiah asked, "For how long, O Lord?"

How long must we remain faithful?  How long must we serve?  How long must we be advocates?

Isaiah 6:11 is that answer....  "Until the cities lie ruined and without inhabitant, until the houses are left deserted and the fields ruined and ravaged, until the Lord has sent everyone far away and the land is utterly forsaken."

In summary --- as long as it takes!

We are to serve, speak, care for, advocate, witness, --- as long as it takes.

It is not the job of a few, it is the job of us all.

We are Isaiah, and it is our hands that must be raised and our hands that must stay raised until the truth is told and our children helped.

It is us who must live out Isaiah 7:9 that says, "If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all."

It is us who must stand firm in our advocacy, in the truth, or not stand at all.

And when going up against my enemies, it is Isaiah 8:11 that will keep my head clear:  "The Lord Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread, and he will be a sanctuary...."

Isaiah 25 furthers that..... "You have been a refuge for the poor, a refuge for the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat."

Indeed he has been ---

And always will be.