Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Using God's word to slay the jabberwocky that is satan...

Michelle M Guppy


Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Psalms

Day 39

Psalms

Some authors have likened the Psalms to a modern-day way of "Singing the Blues"...

I guess that's one way to put it - after all, there are many Psalms that are about grief, disappointment, or urgent pleas for help.

But to me, the overall message is one that speaks, no sings, -- of how God Reigns.

Of how through the Good, the Bad, and the extremely Ugly, -- God is still God, He is Great, and HE REIGNS.

My favorites from today's reading....

Psalm 1
Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.  But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.  He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither.  Whatever he does prospers.

For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.

Psalm 2
Therefore, you kinds, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth.  Serve the Lord with fear and rejoice with trembling.

Blessed are all who take refuge in him.


Psalm 3
But you are a shield around me, O Lord; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.  To the Lord I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill.

I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.

Psalm 4
In your anger do not sin....
Trust in the Lord....
I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.


Psalm 5
In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.

But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy.  Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.  For surely, O Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.


Psalm 7
I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High.

Psalm 8
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!


Psalm 9
I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders.  I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.

The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.  Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.

Psalm 11
For the Lord is righteous, he loves justice; upright men will see his face.


Psalm 18
I love you, O Lord, my strength.  The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.  He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.

He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters.  He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me.  They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support.  He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me.


The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock!  Exalted be God my Savior!  He is the God who avenges me, who subdues nations under me, who saves me from my enemies.  You exalted me above my foes; from violent men you rescued me.  Therefore I will praise you among the nations, O Lord; I will sing praises to your name.